Sunday, January 18, 2009

CNY Delicacies: Ngaku

It was Monday evening, after office hour that I suddenly had the mood to make ngaku. So on the way back home, I stopped by at Tesco and get some of the ingredients needed. I searched high and low and finally got it. ee..didnt know that the ngaku is wet and and slimy. I dont really have the idea in choosing good and fresh ngaku, so i kckc went near a girl who was also busy selecting there. I braved myself and asked her how to choose. Luckily, she was kind enough to teach me how to pick good ngaku and also gave me some secrets on how to make delicious crispy ones! Thanks alot :D So I decided to help her to spread her ajaran to you guys.. lets cook and enjoy this seasonal delicacies together.. :D

Ingredients:
- arrowhead (ngaku/chiku)


Method:

1) Clean the ngaku.


2) Remove the outer skin. Clean again and pat dry.

3) Peel the skin.

4) Slice them.

5) Now you have a bowl of have sliced ngaku.

6) Heat up the wok with plenty of oil. Throw one raw ngaku into the oil to test the temperature. (hahaha... TSD)

7) Deep-fry at low heat until it turns golden brown and crispy.

8) Dish and drain. Use a kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil. Add a pinch of salt to taste.

9) After the ngaku is cool, store in a air-tight container.


Tips:


1) So how to pick good ngaku? Normally people wll think that big is good, maybe they prefer big as it is easier to slice... but bigger means older. So choose the one that is not too big and not too small.. Moderate size is the best.


2) If you want to keep it for some time before cooking, choose a harder one. And also, dont remove the stick beneath. (fyi, it looks like garlic but the stick is at both top and bottom)



*Credit goes to the Girl at Tesco & Pui Fun*



2 comments:

CY said...

I also want to thank the girl and pui fun...of course the beauty chef SG la...for the delicious ngaku!!
SG, last time i only eat abit, nt enough ler...hehe..

Anonymous said...

Haha, finally i know what ngaku is and how its taste like.. all thanks to SG.. a qualified housewife ar..~~